Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Bolivar Peninsula: Tribute to Old Friends

I had had this ride in mind for a good while. I have forgotten when the last time was that I had been to Galveston and to the Bolivar peninsula. All I know is that it was before hurricane Ike struck the Texas gulf coast. It was before those images of waves crashing against the Galveston seawall were broadcast on TV, rising like mythical water giants reaching for the sky. It was before the day I rode in my car to work and listened to a woman on the radio, as she called in from Bolivar peninsula, saying that she could no longer leave her home because Rollover pass was under water, but that she trusted God to keep her safe on the second floor of the home. It was after so many hours were spent in front of the television, watching the aftermath of Ike unfold before our eyes and wondering, what it was that we were not seeing. [more ...]

No comments: